Friday, February 6, 2009

More on the peanut product recall

I stumbled across this article on msn.com.

This part of it REALLY pisses me off:
Last month, when the FDA traced the outbreak of salmonella illness to the Blakely plant, FDA inspectors descended on the factory and catalogued a range of unsanitary conditions, including dead roaches, mold on the ceiling and walls in the cooler where finished products were stored, and rainwater leaking from skylights into the production room. Inspectors found four strains of salmonella and noted deficiencies in the plant's design and construction that invite contamination.

Umm, really? What the hell is going on (or not going on) in that plant that things could be THAT gross? Way to do your jobs.

Sad. Very sad.

The spinach recall/contamination, I could deal with. My kids don't even like spinach.
The tomatoes, I could deal with. I grow my own.
The jalapenos, I could deal with. Honestly, I didn't even know about it until this morning.
But peanut butter, peanut butter crackers, dog treats, ice cream, and everything else that has peanut products in it that I don't realize, not so easy to deal with. We can hardly keep peanut butter in the house. Well, we used to have that problem.

Almost everything I can think of has some kind of peanut product in it. It makes me think twice about what I feed my kids.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The conspiracy theorist in me is thinking that maybe this could be a ploy for us to throw out all of that stuff, wait a few weeks, the FDA will declare it safe again, then we would have to go out and buy new. Stimulating the economy.

BUT the rational part of my brain has squashed that theory. There has been enough proof (well, enough for me) to show that it isn't a conspiracy.

No comments: