Friday, January 8, 2010

Where Has The Time Gone

Seriously, it is already the 8th and not one post from me yet.

Ok, so I will start with our horrible drive up to MIL last weekend. We got out of town early, like 7:30. We are driving along the highway, doing good. All of a sudden, not even an hour out of town there is snow, icy roads and fog. Great.

We get through all that, through Gallup and on a different highway. Right between Gallup and Shiprock, in the middle of nowhere, the car in front of us slams on their brakes. Hubbs taps his breaks and we just happen to be on an ice patch.

I, of course, am not wearing my seat belt because I was turned around yelling at Monk Man to get his ass in his seat. This is where I get a little fuzzy. I hear Hubbs say, "Oh Shit" so I turn forwards and we are spinning into the other lane of traffic. We hadn't spun far enough to get out of the ice so we kept sliding. And sliding. I see this giant pile of dirt on the side of the road and we are sliding sideways into it. Since I am a dumbass, I braced myself. I planted my feet in the floor, covered my face with one arm, stuck my other arm against the door, took a deep breath and stiffened up. When we hit the dirt, it was about a foot away from my window.

Then we started to tip. I remember thinking, "How the hell am I going to get the kids out if we roll?" Luckily, there wasn't enough momentum to make us roll. But we did hit hard enough to separate the 2 right side tires from the wheel bead. By the time Hubbs got us turned around the right direction and on the right side of the road the front tire had already gone flat but the rear tire was losing air much slower.

We sat on the side of the road for 2 damn hours. I called my shop first to see if they could track down a tow truck. Nothing. I called 911 to see if they could get somebody out to us. Nothing from them either. I called FILs insurance. They called a tow truck from a company nowhere even remotely close to where we were. Unacceptable.

Hubbs and I argued about should we wait, should we try to drive, should we have my dad bring us my car and have the Tahoe towed later. I finally decided that we were going to put the spare on the front and drive as far as we could while the other tire had air in it still.

We made it to a tire shop and got the tired put back on the wheels correctly. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful. The boys slept from the time we left the tire shop until we pulled up to MILs house. I was so tired that I didn't think I would be able to stay awake until midnight but I drank a Red Bull and chased that with a bottle of wine.

We played cards until midnight and then I finally got to go to bed.

What started out as being an 8 to 10 hour drive turned into a 14 hour nightmare. But I should be thankful that it wasn't worse than it was because it could have turned out way different.


Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kimbosue said...

Scary! Glad y'all are all ok.