Monday, June 30, 2008

Such a Mean Mommy

I am such a mean mommy. Friday night I decided that I had enough.

Enough of what?

FIL bought Monk Man a humongous bag of candy a few months ago. Hubbs and I decided that it would be best if we put the bag of candy out of the reach of Monk Man. So the bag of candy ended up on top of the refrigerator.

The top of the refrigerator is our catch all for the things we don't want the kids to have access to. You would be amazed at the variety of stuff up there. Taken away toys, DVDs, candy, sheets of stickers.

Anyway, Monk Man has figured out that if he adjusts the computer chair to its highest seat setting and pushes it against the front of the refrigerator, he can climb up onto the counter and get stuff off the top of the refrigerator.

Every time my attention was directed at anything other than Monk Man, he was sneaking another piece of candy. So I took the whole bag of candy (what was left of it that is) and threw it all in the dumpster. Every last piece.

My reasons for doing so:
1) He has gotten in the habit of snacking all damn day. It is to the point that he wont eat ANYTHING I cook. All he wants is candy.
2) I have really shitty teeth. I have had problems with them my whole life. I spend more time at the dentist than a normal person. I am really worried that Monk Man has inherited my bad teeth genes. If he did, all the sugar that Monk Man eats is going to make the teeth rot out of his head. He already has some discoloration.
3) He will not take naps for me. I love my naps on the weekends. I am not human unless I get a nap at least 1 out of the 2 days. I am hoping that without all the sugar, he will nap with me.
4) On the rare occasion that I give in and buy him a piece of candy in the future, it will seem like a treat not something that is expected.

I really hope that I am doing the right thing.

But with my luck, when he is an adult I am going to find out that he is harboring some sort of twisted hatred towards me for throwing his candy away.

No comments: