Friday, July 18, 2008

I Hate

crossing the street.

I had to go to the Post Office for work today. Now normally, I don't have to cross any streets but due to some kind of road work, I couldn't get into the parking lot at the Post Office. So I parked across the street by the stoplight.

Ok. Let me set the scene a little more vividly so you can properly imagine my hatred.

It is Friday. It is lunch time. It is also hot and humid. I have been at home all morning with the boys because no one was going to be around to watch them until this afternoon. So I am worn out and cranky. And because of the road work, 3rd Street (normally a 2 laned, 1 way street) was turned into a 1 laned, 1 way street and traffic was backed up for at least 3 blocks.

So getting to the Post Office was fine. I just waited until there was enough of a lull in the traffic flow to get across the street. But trying to get back to my car from the Post Office was no good. There were no lulls in the traffic, the cross-walk signals suck so I just had to wait until someone stopped and let me walk across. Luckily someone did stop driving so I could cross the street.

But the whole time I was standing there waiting, I felt like everybody has their eyes on me. I don't like that at all. I mean, I was seriously uncomfortable. It is a really small town and I feel like I know almost everybody so it wasn't like I was in any danger or anything. I was just super weirded out for some reason.

Believe it or not, I don't like to be the center of attention. That is why I take at least 1 of my boys with me whenever I go somewhere. Lately, it has been both. And that draws the attention away from me.

No comments: