Tuesday, August 4, 2009


We finally got to go on our weekend camping trip.

It was so much fun. The kids were great, the dogs were great, everything was great.

But I have to tell you, camping is NOT a bargain. Well, for normal people, it probably is. For us, not so much.

As I posted before, this camping in a tent shit is totally new to me. Years ago we had a little trailer that we could hitch up to our little V-2 truck (seriously, the HHR has more balls) and we were set. I think if we would have kept the trailer instead of selling it, we would have actually ended up with more money.

We had to basically start from scratch. When we sold the trailer, I either gave away or threw away everything camping related. I kept a few things but over the years they ended up getting put in with our regular household stuff.

Friday, Hubbs called me at work and told me that he wanted to go to the bar that night and have some drinks with a few friends. I was pissed since there was NO way I was going to get the rest of the stuff packed and try to keep the kids under control, PLUS do the grocery shopping and pick up the last minute things. So I told him he was being an asshole and just to forget the whole camping idea. Then I guilt tripped him, telling him that we have been promising this to the boys for weeks now and he has managed to screw it up for them, again.

I know, it was a shitty thing to tell him. I have to be a bitch sometimes. But in my defence, I was PMSing and can't be held responsible for my actions.

He found a baby sitter for the boys (all by himself) and convinced me to go to the steak fry at the Elks Club. After we ate and he had a couple of drinks(and I was calmed down enough to listen to him), we decided to just throw what we needed for the night into the HHR and come back in the morning to pick up the truck and the rest of our crap.

We get home, pay the baby sitter and start rushing around like nobodies business. By this time it is already 7 p.m. We throw what I already had packed up into the HHR, throw in the kids and the dogs and head off to the grocery store to pick up dinner and breakfast stuff.

And alcohol of course. Lots and lots of alcohol.

We have to go back to the house and re-stuff the car. Eventually we had to put one of the back seats down, put both car seats next to each other (usually a bad idea since then the boys can actually reach one another and normally results in a bite mark or a bruise by the end of the car ride) and stuck the dogs on Hubb's lap.

When we finally get on the road, it is already around 9:15, 9:30ish. I wanted to forget about it but we were so far into it, it would not be worth it to wait. It is an hour drive during the day but since it was dark (and I was driving) it took closer to an hour and a half.

Hubbs talked the ENTIRE drive. I finally had to direct his conversation towards Monk Man since I was having a hard time focusing on the road. I try not to drive at night because I can't see that well in the dark anymore, plus there were all these shadows jumping around by the side of the road. I know it was the headlights and trees but I was so sure an elk or something was going to run out in front of us.

This post is getting crazy long so I will make you wait until tomorrow (or knowing me, the next day) for the rest of the story.

No comments: