Thursday, September 10, 2009

Just Whining Today

Ok so I didn't listen to the Presidents speech last night. To be honest, I didn't even realize there was a speech last night.

But I did read a transcript of the speech and this is what I have to say about it.

There are a LOT of details to be worked out still. I will not be comfortable making a yes or no decision without more information. I would like to see something written out down to the smallest detail. I don't care if it turns out to be 1000+ pages. I want to know exactly what would happen, step by step, in laymans terms.

BTW, feel free to skip this post, I just have a lot to whine about today it seems.

I think healthcare is WAY too expensive, for everyone involved except the insurance companies.

If your insurance is employer paid, it is very expensive for the employer, even with group rates. When I worked at the dealership I had to write checks for the premiums every month. It is outrageous. To get a semi-affordable group plan we had to go with a crappy insurance company and have even crappier coverage. Plus the more claims turned in and paid out, the higher the monthly premiums went. My job now doesn't offer health insurance because it is so much money.

COBRA is a joke. So you lose your job. After a while you insurance is gone too. The monthly rates for COBRA makes me sick to think about. No job, little or no money. It is that simple. I would rather put groceries on the table and keep the water running than pay for COBRA.

State sponsored insurance is no help either. Well, for some it is but not for us. My family makes too much on just above minimum wage and unemployment to qualify for any kind of state help.

And the suckiest of all, having to go without any kind of insurance. Right now, we have no insurance.

So what do we do? We just don't go to the doctor. I have to rely on hopes and prayers that no one gets hurt or sick. It really sucks and I lay awake at night over it. But what else can we do? I mean, if one of the boys (God forbid) gets sick or falls and breaks an arm, I will take them to the doctor and make payments for the rest of my life. But if Hubbs or I get sick, we just deal. No doctor, no pharmacy, just deal with it. But it is totally unfair to expect my kids to do the same. I would never even consider it. I would sell everything I own and then some to keep my kids okay.

I DO think that it is time for the government to step in and do SOMETHING. No one should have to die because they don't have insurance and can't afford to pay for a doctor. It is complete bullshit that those kind of things are happening in this country.

No comments: