Friday, May 16, 2008

Another Trash Can Potato Update

Hubbs drilled holes in the bottom of the bucket for me. I was using a hammer and a nail (unsuccessfully) since I am not exactly power tool competent. Anyway, he heard me, felt sorry enough for me to make the holes for me. Thank you dear.

I filled the bucket with 3 inches of potting soil and cut up my potato (eyes pointing up). The potatoes were dried enough today not to rot so I put them on top of the potting soil. I covered the potatoes with another couple of inches of potting soil and watered it really well.

In the thread that inspired me, a mommy mentioned that store bought potatoes could possibly carry disease and should not be used. So before I feed these home-grown-from-store-bought potatoes to the family, I will do some research on that. This is just an experiment to see if it would work.

Hopefully in the next few days I will have some green things (keep your fingers crossed that they will be a leaf or two instead of something gross) growing in the bucket to show you all!

No comments: